Friday, November 7, 2008

A Life Well Lived

Since I have been working late, I've been sleeping late.  The last thing I wanted was to hear my phone go off.  But it did.  On Friday afternoon, Becky (my sister) called and said that our grandmother passed away early this morning.  I was extremely surprised!  She had been doing sooo well, this was last thing I expected.  Ben and I were just talking the night before about the days she would spend over while Mom and Dad were away, and the crazy things she would pull. 
We had lots of pot lucks when we lived in San Jose with the Chinese branch.  Well, at one of the pot lucks, my grandma decided she wanted a goose for dinner the next evening, so she started chasing after the geese.  It was quite the sight!!!  And incredibly, she was able to catch one of them!!!  I was astonished and quite amazed! :)  She was a crazy and very energetic woman.  I looooved her lemon pies and apparently every ward she has every been a part of, love her cooking too!  She was always either busy in the kitchen making Chinese desserts or knitting a new sweater, cardigan, or scarf for someone.  
A year or two ago she got pneumonia and was hospitalized for a while, but that didn't stop her from what she loved.  She insisted she was okay and continued to serve those around her, may it be through her knitting, her jewelry making, or cooking; she was always eager to be a part of someone else's life, and to help make someone's day a little brighter.  I love my grandmother and will never forget her loving compassion or her selfless service.  It was definitely a life very well lived, and a legacy that will live on forever.  Miss you grandma!

No comments: