Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Eye Surgery

I'm finally getting my eye surgery done!!! I was sooo excited and nervous, I was up at 5AM... for me that is extremely extremely early!!! So, we go to the doctor's office and the technician pulls Michael and me aside and tells us that my lenses are in California! Somehow, the company that ships and makes these lenses put on the wrong shipping label and sent it to California! I was completely bummed out. Then she went on and said that they are getting a sales rep in California to pick up my lenses and then fly to Salt Lake City on a Delta flight. Well, they didn't arrive in Utah until 3:30PM so I had to go back up to Salt Lake at 4PM for the surgery. By then I was sooo nervous I was shaking! The surgery took about 30 min to an hour and I was out. I felt like crap when I finally got up, but amazingly I was already starting to see!!! I was sooo excited! The surgeon and nurses were all really nice and stayed late to make sure I got my surgery done today and were really good during the entire procedure! They did a few tests to make sure everything was good and then checked my eyes. I was seeing 20/15 just hours after my surgery!!! It was pretty cool, even with astigmatism!

As I laid in bed that night, I started to become really emotional! It was incredible that I could see without glasses or contacts! I haven't been able to do that since I was in the first grade!!! Absolutely incredible. It was a very humbling experience and I'm still trying to get used to it!

Pictures and videos to come soon.....

2 comments:

Andrea said...

AWESOME..... I hope your are doing well and feeling good. I think people like me take seeing for granted so thanks for the reality check!!!!

Erin and Rich said...

Hey Susan, It's Michael's cousin Erin. Congrats on being able to see finally! That must feel pretty cool. Like your friend Andrea, I too take seeing perfectly for granted. Unfortunately my husband has horrible vision and would love to get the surgery done as well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? And where did you go. We are in NY, so I bet it's way cheaper in UT. Possibly worth flying out there for it. Let me know. Thanks (erinpsillos@hotmail.com)